Wednesday, 25 May 2011

The whimsey scarf

A previous blog talked about dropping stitches while dropping rules of shoulds and oughts.

I am a 'go with the flow' kind of gal. My friend A is not. Just last week we'd had a cyber conversation about starting new knitting projects while there is an incomplete project on the needles. She confessed that she couldn't start a new one while she had a project on the needles and on the go.

As work in progress I already had 2 projects on the needles; one started and set up and two-thirds complete; the second, finally after many false starts (look to a future post relating to false starts) en route; and the third pattern decided and yarns bought and so ready to go. (And we won't count here other false starts and projects in progress from my experimental years).

And I'd promised Sarah her pink baby girl catch Cardigan. That was to be my weekend project.

So what happened when I went to John Lewis to find the yarn for the agreed baby knit?

I examined yarns for substitutes to the suggested American yarn for the cardigan and seriously discussed options. My decision was for a suitably pink organic wool and cotton yarn which I bought. But in passing I came across a couple of balls of half price Gelfrida fiorista yarn - and bought them too. The variegation of the colours was great. The feel and the flow of the yarn 88% cotton / 12% polyester was so soft and tactile. This was a yarn awaiting a project - it would become the Whimsey scarf.

For the catch cardigan I was looking for the yarn to fit the pattern. For the whimsy scarf I bought on spec. So more googling to find a pattern that would work for the yarn, and the intended recipient.

So what did I end up doing for my chillout and knit weekend? First I cast on and set up a completely different new project that was waiting but wasn't actually on the list to do now. The black angora bolero I had offered to knit for E where the yarn was ready and waiting.


Then I set about the baby Cardigan knitting. And then I went off piste to experiment with what I might do with the "whimsey". I had a couple of false starts where although the pattern was lovely, and the yarn would work - I'd have needed more than just the 2 balls that I had.

By the end of the weekend, the pink catch cardigan was complete. The angora bolera was started. And after a couple of false starts, the drop-stitch whimsey was well on its way.

I was a happy knitter. S loved both the baby cardigan - and her own scarf. Two finished. Three still on the needles. And A had just sent me more scarf patterns to drool over. Result, I'd say.


No comments:

Post a Comment