This piece started out as an idle bit of experimentation while in France, as I was starting to get back into knitting. It so nearly became a designer floor cloth. Odd pattern, straight needles that weren't long to take the necessary number of stitches to make the ruffled edge, textured yarn instead of variegated yarn, and only a half-hearted attempt at a tension square. And as I was in the middle of la France profonde I couldn't exactly hot-foot it to Liberty's or John Lewis.
And yet, amazingly, the addition of a bright red knitted flower, a button and a ribbon and voila, an original creation.
It appears that I have a tendency to bring the same attitude now to my knitting of scarves, shawls and bits and bobs as I often do to cooking. I read the recipes as a start point - and for guidelines on techniques, cooking times etc, and then adapt and substitute as I go along. I'm not so sure about the chefy techniques of artistic plating up (usually because I don't plan the presentation in advance). Dinner's served - now - is the usual cry, and can you lay the table as well. My food presentation wouldn't make it much beyond the first couple of rounds of Masterchef.
And I must here confess that I passed over the task of adding the finishing bling to E (though I had knitted the little red flower corsage myself). And a very nice job she made of it too.

No comments:
Post a Comment