Saturday, 31 December 2011

2011: A review of a year of knitting and stitching

As I return to this blog, I realise that over the last 6 months I have cured myself of the habit of being constantly connected to the cyberworld by technology - you can't blog or tweet or surf and knit at the same time.

But of course a consequence is that this blog has lain dormant.

So in the age-old tradition of New Year's Eve, I decided that a it's a good time to review the knitting projects of the year - while I have a chance of remembering what I've been doing. It would have been easier if I'd used this blog to keep a running record - but let's see how we go.

Let's try the chronological approach to start - and add photos and comments later.

Christmas 2010

Back-tracking a bit to the autumn of 2010, this was probably the start of the new phase of knitting. My good friend A had had a horrific accident, and broken her femur badly. I went to buy her a knitting project to keep her from climbing the walls during the recovery - legwarmers seemed appropriate. 3 hours of browsing and indecision later, I came away with Noro yarn and pattern. But I couldn't resist - and knitted them up myself to send her the finished result. A good decision as it turned out, as she wouldn't have had the energies to knit herself at that time.

I then started on a waistcoat for myself, before getting sidetracked into all sorts of other projects. (The said waistcoat still languishes unfinished - and is destined to be ripped apart to re-use the yarn in projects more suited to what I now want to knit.)

I think I then finished off an angora ruffle scarf (mohair de France - bought from the market in Nyons from French angora goats) that had been on the needles for years - and gave it to E. I had a captive audience for my creations!

And I started to spend time looking at pattern books etc in John Lewis - tuning in to the new world of interesting versus funtional knitting - and not a ball of courtelle or acrylic in sight!

I bought a Rowan Studio knitting book - and my daughter E earmarked 2 pretty tops - so we chose colours and bought the wool (rowan haze).

Christmas 2010: I used more of the angora wool to knit a scarf for my mother. I had intended to finish the pink bolero for E for Christmas, and got sidetracked into knitting another angora scarf and beret for Lizzie (using up the french mohair). (Those 6 balls of assorted pinks, purple and violet went a long way). Of course, E wanted a beret as well! And I finished the pink bolero in time for her to wear it to her graduation in January.

Wrapping the aforesaid bolero and beret to send it reminded me of receiving the Christmas box from my grandmother in the post. It was full of her various knitting projects for the year - lots of bedsocks as I recall! - and they all carried her scent of lavender water. So wrap up your finished articles in tissue paper and tie with spare yarn from the project.  Spraying the tissue paper with your favourite scent makes the unwrapping of the gift a fully sensory experience for the recipient.

No comments:

Post a Comment